Your pictures and fotos in a Slideshow on MySpace, eBay, Facebook or your website!view all pictures of this Slideshow

Friday, December 19, 2008

Secret Santa Surprise




Sure many of you have ever done one of those Secret Santa or Secret Sister trades, I expect a few of you will understand what I am about to blog about. I have done several of these only to generally come up disappointed. I have always put some heart into whatever I was purchasing. Working very hard to ensure that the receiver would think "WOW!! How thoughtful!" But when it came time for me to open my gift, it was a rushed just grab something type of thing. Or even worse, one time I was in a woman's group that continued the secret swap for 3 months. There were 2 Kim's in the group and I am sure you can already see what happened. Yep, Kim B. was lavished with wonderful gifts, while I got nothing for 2.5 months because I was too "polite" to say anything. Finally the organizer of the swap realized I never spoke of the little things I received and figured it out on her own. Anyway, I am not picky, and I defiantly don't look at price tags when it comes to something I have been given. If it is from the heart it shows no matter what the cost. But I have always ended up on the short end of these swaps. Seeing the wonderful things that others received, the pretty earrings, sun catchers, hand knitted scarves, picture frames, journals, etc and I would get the dollar store bunny statue (I am so a chicken person). A very good friend of mine made an excellent point. She said "You really can't expect to much. After all, it's stranger picking out something for you." Very true!! And even with all the wonderful lists we fill out of our likes and dislikes, sometimes you are still left to guess. Well this year, I wasn't going to do it. No secret Santa's between cyber friends for me. Not falling into that disappointing trap again. Then it happened. It is no secret that I sell handmade crafts on ETSY. Many of my readers know what Etsy is but did you know that as a seller you can join into the community with other artisans in teams? Teams allows you to connect with other ETSY sellers of a like mind, interest or geographical area (there are many different teams to choose from) to really get some support and feedback. Well I am on the EasternWaTeam on Etsy. A wonderful group that really seems to enjoy helping and learning from each other. And of course, the Secret Santa sign-ups went up. I signed up once again, this time lowering my expectations knowing that even with the $20 guideline, I would be happy to just receive something. But, this year was different. It appears that when you get a bunch of handcrafters together, they know about heart. The put effort into their gifts. I was delightfully surprised!! My gifter was Monti of http://www.glitznglass.etsy.com/ . She really blessed me!! Look at those pictures!! I got to tell you, the earrings are right up my alley, I love handmade jewelry and the Peppermint Cinnamon Candle is Divine!! It had me scrambling for something to eat it smelled so good!! So I wanted to to blog about it. I had to put a shout out for her. Check out her shop! For that matter, go to http://www.etsy.com/ and under TAGS type in EasternWaTeam. Check out what all my fellow team mates have to offer. I promise you won't be disappointed!! Oh and with my faith in the Secret Santa restored, Anyone up for a swap?




Blessings, Kim O.

No comments: